Was Rancho inspired by Steve Jobs ?
Steve Jobs, the Father of Modern Computers has been well known for his innovation, creativity, attention to minute details and his spirit of struggle in the industry. Interestingly, his life story was cast on screens in a recent Hindi Movie 3 Idiots where the character of Rancho (played by Aamir Khan) immensely resembles to him.It appears that the makers of the movie were inspired by Steve for Rancho’s role.
Here are few apparent reasons which point to this conclusion:
1. Steve’s Childhood was spent in poverty.His biological parents deserted him when he was small. Rancho’s parents also died when he was small.He too was adopted by his master.Both of them were orphan in childhood.
2.Steve had great passion for making things live.He always believed in chasing his dreams and making possible what people considered impossible. Rancho was similar in character.Remember, he designed the Helicopter which was considered an impractical project by the Director of the College.
3. Rancho had 300 patents in his name while Steve Jobs has 338 American Patents in his name.
4. Steve always said- Stay Hungry,Stay Foolish; Rancho’s favorite statement(apart from All is Well!) was Never Chase Success, Chase Excellence, the Success will automatically follow you. Though Both these statements look different, both lead to the common aim of excellence.Both starved for excellence and Perfection.Both struggled a lot in life.
5. Steve Came to India in search of Enlightenment and became Buddhist.Rancho was from Laddakh were a significant portion of Buddhist population live.
6.Both could not have proper formal education.Steve dropped the college after first semester and kept on learning things from random sources or by self dedication. Rancho too never had proper elementary formal education.He used to learn from the old books of his master’s son.
7. Both dreamed of Changing the World.Rancho wanted to change the education system, while Jobs changed the way technology is used by common people in day to day activities.
Life repeats its stories and I am sure there are many who fit well in the context stated above, but Steve Jobs resembled the most. Rancho actually was the young Steve Jobs. People may come and people may go but the legend will keep on inspiring those who dream of changing the world.
NOTE: Steve Jobs has been a source of inspiration to me . This post is my tribute to the Father of Modern Computers. Interestingly, one of my first posts on this blog(one year back) was dedicated to him.